• Author
      Profile photo of Andrew Normand

The first thing that came to mind was whether the question was confusing:
      How important is it to you that the continuing professional development you attend allows you to take part in discussion, reflection, networking and activities where learning can be socially constructed?

What do you think?

Yes, the question was arguably a bit long, & there’s a possible confusion between:

1. How important is it to you that the continuing professional development you attend allows you to take part in discussion, reflection, networking and ….
      2. … activities where learning can be socially constructed? [this terminology overlaps with discussion/reflection, but networking is I’d say regarded as separate, because it’s often on a totally different agenda to the topics of the sessions, e.g. ‘which Spec have you chosen’? etc]

So, 2. is (the way I read this question) different from 1.

Re. ‘networking’ & e.g. having a lunch-break with an exhibition, at a day meeting: I reckon teachers & technicians see this part of the proceedings as making the whole event a professional conference day. Being treated as professionals. Along with being out of school for the whole day

There was a meeting down this way a year or two ago about reviving the ASE locally. (ASE gatherings have more or less ceased in the SW) Lots of reps were present, from schools, the RSC, IoB, Uni tutors, around 15 of us altogether. The IOP SW CPD Day was cited (not by me initially!) as an established, successful, event. There was then a good discussion about it, as to why, how it worked, why teachers & technicians who’ve attended speak well of it & remember it, etc. The above (whole day, exhibition etc) were agreed to be important aspects of its success. It was nice for me to ‘polish the IOP halo’ at this meeting!

Alastair

What I really wanted to ask is whether they values a chat over lunch….

I like the exhibitors at a meeting too. Reminds you there’s a little industry around us. But that isn’t the same thing as being social.

It would have probably have been more revealing to ask about the four components separately.

I would have given different ratings to each.

Do you think PNCs value the discussion time more highly than teachers do?

Probably

Do PNCs value discussion time more because they are experienced teachers? They have all the PCK in their toolboxes so the discussion is either about new tools, variations on old tools, or the decisions they make about when to use the tools?

As I implied in the other forum, it depends on the group.  And not just size but experience and format of session.

Ruth

Would a group of people that valued the discussion have any characteristics that might be different from one that didn’t? Or is it just a random human thing? Get the right personalities and they gel….

How important is it that the whole day, community feel, networking and food etc, contributes to making a non-threatening environment?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?